Introduction- Mucormycosis commonly referred to as a black fungus. It is the association of mucormycosis (an aggressive fungal infection) with COVID-19. It has been found around the brain, nose and eyes.
*Affliction and reddening around nose and eyes.
* Shortness of breath.
* Blood in vomit.
* Altered mental status.
WHO IS MOST AT RISK?
* Uncontrolled diabetes.
* Immunosuppression by steroids.
* Kidney disease.
* Heart disease.
PREVENTION OF BLACK FUNGUS :-
* Don’t go anywhere without mask and keep mask while visiting any construction site.
* Wear shoes, long trousers , long sleeve shirts and gloves while handling soil. *Maintain personal hygiene.
THINGS TO-DO :-
* Control hyperglycemia.
* Monitor blood glucose level post-COVID-19 discharge.
* Use clean, sterile water for humidifiers during oxygen therapy.
* Use antibiotics / antifungals judiciously.
THINGS NOT TO-DO :-
* Do not miss warning signs and symptoms.
* Do not consider all the cases with block nose as case of bacterial sinusitis, particularly in the context of immunosuppression or COVID II 19 patients on immunomodulators.
* Don’t lose crucial time by heisting to initiate treatment.
Mr. Om Guptesh Sugandhi, B. Pharma IV Semester, School Of Health and Allied Sciences, Career Point University, Kota