Introduction- Cloves are the aromatic flower buds of a tree in the family myrtaceae, syzygium aromaticum they are native to the maluku islands in Indonesia, and are commonly used as a spice. Cloves are available throughout the year owing to different harvest seasons In different countries.
Scientific name :- Syzygium aromaticum
Family :- Myrtaceae
Order :- Myrtales
Genus :- Syzygium
Species :- S. aromaticum
Botanical features of clove :-
The clove tree is an evergreen that grows up to 8 – 12 meters (26 – 39 feet) tall, with large leaves and crimson flowers grouped in terminal clusters. The flower buds initially have a pale hue, gradually turn green, then transition to a bright red when ready for harvest.
Cloves are harvested at 1.5 – 2 cm long and consist of a long calyx that terminates in four spreading sepals, and four unopened petals that from a small central ball.
Health benefits of clove :-
1. Cold and Cough :- Cloves are warm in taste. Due to which cloves are mainly used to cure viral infections like cold. It has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antioxidants and antiseptic properties which act to relieve colds and colds.
2. Digestive Health :- Cloves contain many digestive juices. It plays a major role in digestion. Also, the elements present in it kill the bacteria present in the stomach. This reduces the risk of any type of infection occurring in the stomach.
3. Bone Health :- Cloves contain calcium, vitamin-c and magnesium which relieves pain in muscles and bones as well as reduces inflammation in them. It provides strength in bones and muscles.
4. Joint Pain :- Clove oil using for joint pain since 13th century.
5. Get rid of Tobacco :- Start chewing clove to get rid of tobacco, this will reduce your brain’s desire to smoke and distract the brain.
6. Increasing Testosterone :- The use of clove is also helpful in increasing testosterone in men. According to studies, regular intake of cloves in very small amounts can increase the sexual ability of men.
7. Cancer :- The medicinal properties of cloves prevent tumors from growing and eliminate cancer cells. Clove is a great source of antioxidants, which protect us from inflammation and cancer.
Common side effects of topically applied clove may include :-
1. Erection problems.
2. Trouble having an orgasm (delayed ejaculation).
3. Itching, rash.
4. Mild skin, irritation.
5. Sore gums, mouth irritation, bleeding or swollen gums, or tooth changes after using clove inside the mouth.
Mr. Prashant Sharma, B.Sc.(Agri) – II Year, School of Agricultural Sciences, Career Point University, Kota