Objective- To Provide Cashless cnd Contactless Instrument for Making Digital Payments.
What is e-RUPI:
On 2 August 2021, the Hon’ble Prime Minister, Government of India had launched a digital payment platform called e-RUPI Digital Platform. This platform is a cashless and contactless instrument that will be used for making digital payments. It is a QR code or SMS string-based e-voucher which will be delivered to the mobile of the users. The users will be able to redeem this voucher without any digital payment app, internet banking, or card. This digital payment platform has been developed by the national payments corporation of India on its UPI platform. The first time use of E-RUPI digital payment has been shown in a private vaccination center of Mumbai on the occasion of launching this platform.
Use, Benefits, Key Details:
- e-Rupi is a person and purpose specific digital payment solution. It is expected to be a revolutionary initiative in the direction of ensuring a leak-proof delivery of welfare services.
- e-Rupi is a symbol of how India is progressing by connecting people’s lives with technology, PM Modi said. It can also use for delivering services under schemes meant for providing drugs and nutritional support, Digital India stated.
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has developed the – ‘e-RUPI Digital Payment Solution’ in association with Department of Financial Services (DFS), National Health Authority (NHA), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), and partner banks.
- The users of this seamless one-time payment mechanism will be able to redeem the voucher without a card, digital payments app or Internet Banking access, at the service provider, Digital India stated.
- e-Rupi’s prepaid feature assures timely payment to the service provider without involvement of any intermediary.
- Notably, e-Rupi would be shared with the beneficiaries by organizations or Government through SMS or QR code.
- e-Rupi is contactless and keeps the details of beneficiaries absolutely confidential.
- Meanwhile, transaction through e-Rupi is faster and reliable as the required amount is already stored in the voucher.
- Beneficiary will not require to share personal details which redeeming the voucher and that’s why privacy is maintained.
- So far, banks that are associated with e-Rupi are Axis Bank, Bank of Baroda, Canara Bank, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Indusind Bank, Indian Bank, Kotak Bank, Punjab National Bank, State Bank of India, Union Bank of India.
Dr. M.K. Jangid, Associate Professor, School of Agricultural Sciences, Career Point University, Kota