Introduction- f you think that plants are only for giving oxygen and food, then you are wrong. Plants can cure health ailments too. Many of us face different mental health problems and depend heavily on medicines. But, there are herbs that can heal your mind. And, mental health can’t just be treated with chemical medicines, it needs natural treatment too.
1) Chamomile :- Known as the most calming herb. Relieve anxiety and helps in better sleep.
How to use :- Used in tea form.
2) Saffron :- Release serotonin, producing feelings of positivity and happiness.
How to use :- soak few saffron threads in warm (not boiling) water and put in any regular dish. Don’t use more than a pinch.
3) Passionflower:- Release brain chemicals that produce calming effect.
How to use:- mainly used in tea form. Passionflower capsules can also be taken with doctors prescription.
4) Turmeric:- Release dopamine and serotonin giving happy feelings and improves overall mental health and strength. It also cleans the buildup of beta amyloid from the brain.
How to use:- add few pinches in any dish, can be used in organic tea.
5) Rosemary :- Nourishes the nervous system and improves memory and cognition thus reducing the chances of Alzheimer’s disease.
How to use :- can be used in tea, dried or fresh Rosemary can be used for food topping or rosemary essential oil can be simply inhaled.
6) Ashwagandha :- Ashwagandha root powder is used for better mental health in Ayurveda since time immemorial. It increase memory, removes beta amyloid plaques from brain, reduces oxidative stress, helps in treating depression, improves mental strength, cognition and concentration.
How to use :- powder can be simply ingested with water or can be taken with clarified butter and honey. Can also be taken in the form of capsules.
7) Lemon balm :- Very effective in treating insomnia and stress.
How to use :- use in tea or simply inhale the essential oil.
Ms. Juhi Vaishnav, B.Sc. (Agricultural) – IV Year, School of Agricultural Sciences, Career Point University, Kota