History of Nutraceuticals:-
The term “Nutraceutical” from “Nutrition” and “Pharmaceutical” in 1989. The term Nutraceuticals is being commonly used in marketing but has no regulatory definition. Global Nutraceutical market is estimated as USD 117 billion. FDA regulated dietary supplements as foods to ensure that they were safe.
In 2006, the Indian government passed Food Safety and Standard Act to regulate the nutraceutical industry.
Definition of nutraceuticals:
Nutraceuticals are food or part of food that provides medical or health benefits including the prevention and/or treatment of a disease.
Role of Nutraceutical in Human Health:-
- Nutraceutical is the hybrid of ‘nutrition’ and ‘pharmaceutical’.
- Nutraceuticals, in broad, are food or part of food playing a significant role in modifying and maintaining normal physiological function that maintains healthy human beings.
Principles of Nutraceuticals:-
- The principal reasons for the growth of the nutraceutical market worldwide are the current population and the health trends.
- The food products used as nutraceuticals can be categorized as dietary fibre, prebiotics, probiotics, polyunsaturated fatty acids, antioxidants and other different types of herbal/ natural foods.
- These nutraceuticals help in combating some of the major health problems of the century such as obesity, cardiovascular diseases, cancer, osteoporosis, arthritis, diabetes, cholesterol etc.
- In whole, ‘nutraceutical’ has lead to the new era of medicine and health, in which the food industry has become a research oriented sector.
Advantage of Nutraceuticals:-
- Nutraceutical has advantage over the medicine because they avoid side effect.
- They have naturally dietary supplement, etc.
- Nutraceutical; on the basis of their natural source, chemical grouping, categories into three key terms -nutrients, herbals, dietary supplements, dietary fiber, etc.
- The most rapidly growing segments of the industry were dietary supplements (19.5 percent per year) and natural/herbal products (11.6 percent per year).
- Herbal nutraceutical is used as a powerful instrument in maintaining health and to act against nutritionally induced acute and chronic diseases.
- They promoting optimal health, longevity, and quality of life.
Ms. Shama Parveen, Assistant Professor, School of Pharmacy, Career Point University, Kota