Introduction- The Like AI and Machine Learning, Robotic Process Automation, or RPA , is another technology that is automating jobs. RPA is the use of software to automate business processes such as interpreting applications, processing transactions, dealing with data, and even replying to emails. RPA automates repetitive tasks that people used to do. New and emerging technologies, such as Artificial intelligence (AI), cognitive computing, the Internet of Things (IoT), and machine learning are revolutionizing all industries. Some implementations like self-driving cars are set to change the digital world.
Advances in software and AI world have paved the way for Robotic Process Automation (RPA). It is the most recent technology which has the capability to re-invent the business process management landscape. Advances in software and AI world are paving the way for Robotic Process Automation. It is the most recent technology which has the capability to re-invent the business process management landscape. This innovative technology uses robots or the software program to perform certain arduous jobs and several business workflows with great accuracy.
What is RPA?
Robotic Process Automation is the use of software with Artificial Intelligence(AI) and machine learning (ML) capabilities to handle high-volume, repeatable tasks that previously required humans to perform. Some of these tasks include:-
- There’s a common misconception that automation is equivalent to robotic process automation, but this isn’t the case as traditional automation and RPA are different in many aspects.
- Traditional automation involves programming application programming interfaces (APIs) and integration tools to integrate different systems. The RPA developer must have a good understanding of the target system.
- On the other hand, robotic process automation mimics the actions of a user at the user interface (UI) level. As long as the bot can follow the steps, the developer doesn’t need to worry about the underlying complexities.
- Data from several systems must be coordinated to create a new user account, email address, access rights, document retrieval, etc.
- With Robotic Process Automation, the user account can automatically activate a template for the onboarding workflow. RPA can help assess, prepare, and create new employee data, initiate mailing of offer letters, and streamline information across the systems.
Rich Analytical Suite- RPA monitors and manages automated functions from a central console. This console can be accessed from anywhere and offers basic metrics on robots, servers, workflows, and more.
Simple Creation of Bots- RPA tools enables the quick creation of bots by capturing mouse clicks and keystrokes with built-in screen recorder components.
Scriptless Automation- RPA tools are code-free and can automate any application in any department. Users with less programming skills can create bots through an intuitive GUI.
Security- RPA tools enable the configuration and customization of encryption capabilities to secure certain data types to defend against the interruption of network communication.
Hosting and Deployment- RPA systems can automatically deploy bots in groups of hundreds. Hence, RPA bots can be installed on desktops and deployed on servers to access data for repetitive tasks.
Debugging- Some RPA tools need to stop running to rectify the errors while other tools allow dynamic interaction while debugging. This is one of the most powerful features of RPA.
Reduces Cost- One of the important advantages of RPA is the quick reduction in the cost. By automating tasks, an organization can save up to 30 percent of their total costs because software robots also cost less than a full-time employee.
Reduces Operational Risks – Some companies prefer to outsource busy work to third party organizations, and this comes with the risk of human errors and inefficiency. RPA offers a better solution—because the work stays in-house, there is less operational risk. Quality and accuracy – Processes with a high risk of human error can be automated using RPA systems. These bots are reliable, consistent, and can work tirelessly.
Scalability – With the help of RPA, companies can make adjustments based on other crucial factors and can easily scale up or down operations as needed.
Reduced Workload – Automating tasks like report-making can significantly reduce the workload on employees, allowing them to focus on other critical tasks.
Improved Customer Satisfaction – Since accuracy is maintained and operational risk is minimal, customers are provided with quality content.
Improved business results – Since employees are focusing on activities that add more value to the company, robotic process automation improves results that can be automated.
Mr. Arshad Hussain, Assistant Professor, School of Computer Applications, Career Point University, Kota