Introduction- Soft skills include Interpersonal skills, communication skills, listening skills, time management, empathy, character or personality traits, attitudes, mindsets, career attributes, social intelligence, emotional intelligence, etc. Generally, knowing how to behave on the job and the importance of some basic skills such as taking initiative, listening attentively, and communicating effectively, is expected of the employees. These skills enable a person to form relationships with people, create trust and dependability.
It is essential to work on skills like communication, time management, or conflict resolution. If you wish to acquire your dream job then along with hard skills you should deliberately develop your Soft Skills and constantly work upon them.
Dream Job ….Acquire Soft Skills
Let’s discuss certain specific soft skills which you can inculcate in yourselves.
1. Credibility: Being dependable means that you do what you say you will, when you say you will. You are always trusted to complete any task, and you will do it perfectly well.
2. Interpersonal Skills: Above picture depicts the way you can improve Interpersonal skills. These convey the message that you are nice, personable, friendly, nurturing, empathetic, have self-control, patience, and social skills.
3. Motivation/ Initiative: you should be able to motivate yourself to get tasks done, and take the initiative to find new ways of improving yourself, your work and your organization.
4. Courtesy: Professional courtesy basically refers to the etiquette extended between members of the same profession. It usually demonstrates grace, manners, etiquette, and guides you to stay respectful.
5. Communication: It seems evident to quote that key to any human interaction, especially in the workplace, where there are multiple variables affecting situations is Communication. The capacity of projecting positive body language and facial expressions refers to Nonverbal communication on the other hand Verbal communication includes your ability to speak clearly and concisely. It includes active listening, written communication, visual communication, etc.
6. Integrity: It says to stay honest, ethical, keep high morals and personal values along with that always choose the right path.
7. Commitment: Commitment means not just doing your job, but delivering more than what is expected. It is observed that committed employees have a positive effect on working environment.
8. Creativity: If you can think about problems as well as solutions in a new and interesting way then show it whenever it is expected.
9. Problem Solving: The ability to use your knowledge to find answers to pressing problems and formulate workable solutions will demonstrate that you can actually handle any situation.
10. Positive Attitude: When you are optimistic, enthusiastic, encouraging, happy and confident almost in all circumstances.
11. Flexibility: Sometimes, your job is going to be a little like a rollercoaster. At that very moment if you can adjust to the chaos in appropriate manner. Flexibility means adaptability, willing to change, lifelong learner, accepts new things, adjusts in all favorable and adverse circumstances.
12. Teamwork: Working in a team is an essential part of almost every job. It means when you can get along with others, are cooperative, agreeable, supportive, helpful and collaborative.
13. Leadership: It is a natural expectation that leaders must assess, motivate, encourage, and even discipline workers and build teams, resolve conflicts, and cultivate the culture desired in the organization.
14. Time Management: Time management refers to prioritization, planning and organizational skills. It is essential to balance your workload and prioritize your work. It enables you to work smarter not harder.
15. Work Ethic: Hard working, willing to work, loyal, initiative, self-motivated, on time, good attendance are preferred work ethics. It really doesn’t mean exhausting yourself or sometimes blindly doing other people’s work, rather, it means applying your skills in the most effective and rewarding way possible.
You can make your resume more effective by highlighting your soft skills and inserting a professionally written skills section into your resume. They are popularly in demand. So, go ahead and develop your soft skills and reach for the skies.
Prof. Anshu Raj Purohit, Department of English, Career Point University, Kota