Introduction- This pandemic has cause MENTAL UNSTABILITY in most of the population some fought through it and some are still fighting through it and one of the most common condition seen is headache…we take this pain so lightly but it is categorized as the 6th highest cause of disability in 2013 by ICHD. Do pay attention to your type of headache; it could be fatal and DISABLING.
Key Facts :
1. Headache disorders are among the most common disorders of the nervous system.
2. It has been estimated that almost half of the adult population have had a headache at least once within the last year.
3. Headache disorders, which are characterized by recurrent headache, are associated with personal and societal burdens of pain, disability, damaged quality of life, and financial cost.
4. Worldwide, a minority of people with headache disorders are diagnosed appropriately by a health-care provider.
5. Headache has been underestimated, under-recognized and under-treated throughout the world.
Not only is headache painful, but it is also disabling. In the Global Burden of Disease Study, updated in 2013, migraine on its own was found to be the sixth highest cause worldwide of years lost due to disability (YLD). Headache disorders collectively were third highest.
Types of Headache Disorders :-Migraine, tension-type headache and medication-overuse headache are of public health importance since they are responsible for high population levels of disability and ill-health.
1. It is more common in women, usually by a factor of about 2:1, because of hormonal influences.
2. It is caused by the activation of a mechanism deep in the brain that leads to release of pain-producing inflammatory substances around the nerves and blood vessels of the head. 3. Migraine is recurrent, often life-long, and characterized by recurring attacks.
4. Attacks typically include:
A. Headache, which is:
- Moderate or severe intensity.
- Pulsating in quality.
- Aggravated by routine physical activity.
- With duration of hours to 2-3 days.
B. Bausea (the most characteristic associated feature)
C. Attack frequency is anywhere between once a year and once a week.
D. In children, attacks tend to be of shorter duration and abdominal symptoms more prominent.
Tension-Type Headache (TTH) :-
- TTH is the most common primary headache disorder.
- Episodic TTH, occurring on fewer than 15 days per month, is reported by more than 70% of some populations.
- Chronic TTH, occurring on more than 15 days per month, affects 1-3% of adults.
- TTH often begins during the teenage years, affecting three women to every two men.
- Its mechanism may be stress-related or associated with musculoskeletal problems in the neck.
- Episodic TTH attacks usually last a few hours, but can persist for several days.
- This headache is described as pressure or tightness, often like a band around the head, sometimes spreading into or from the neck.
Cluster Headache (CH) :-
- CH is relatively uncommon affecting fewer than 1 in 1000 adults, affecting six men to each woman.
- Most people developing CH are in their 20s or older.
- It is characterized by frequently recurring (up to several times a day), brief but extremely severe headache, usually focused in or around one eye, with tearing and redness of the eye, the nose runs or is blocked on the affected side and the eyelid may droop.
If you experience a headache frequently do consult a Neurologist.
And if you have diagnosed migraine, I would recommend you some methods to get instant relief of the pain if you do not have your medicines.
By massaging with gentle pressure on these acupressure points on your body you could feel instant and significant relief in the pain caused.
Ms. Rishika Khandlewal, IV Sem. BPT, Department of Physiotherapy, School Of Health & Allied Sciences, Career Point University, Kota