Introduction- Vermiwash is a Brown colored liquid fertilizer, which is collected after water passes via a worm culture column. As storehouse of nutrients and microorganisms, Vermiwash is used as a foliar spray for crops. We prepare Vermiwash while maintaining high concentrations of micro and macronutrients, plant hormones to ensure healthy development of plants.
Preparation of Vermiwash:-
1. Vermiwash is a liquid that is collected after the passage of water through a column of worm action and is very useful as a foliar spray.
2. It is a collection of excretory products and mucus secretion of earthworms along with micronutrients from the soil organic molecules.
3. It is a clear and transparent, pale yellow coloured fluid.
4. Worm worked soils have burrows formed by the earthworms.
5. Bacteria richly inhabit these burrows, also called as the drilospheres.
6. Water passing through these passages washes the nutrients from these burrows to the roots to be absorbed by the plants.
7. Water is allowed to fall drop by drop from a pot hung above the barrel into the vermicomposting system.
How to Use Vermiwash:-
1. Dilute with water (10%) before spraying effectively on any plant.
2. Vermiwash should be diluted 5 to 10 times with water and then applied.
3. Can also be mixed with cow urine and diluted for use as foliar spray.
Dosage for use:-
1. Root dip or stem dip:- The seedling of the plants are dipped in vermiwash solution for 15 to 20 minutes before transplantation. The solution wants to be diluted 5 times with water and then after they can be transplantation. In this way, the cutting of plants can be dipped in the solution.
2. Foliar spray:- The vermiwash is diluted with water for 5 times and after that sprayed on the crops. It enriches the soil with nutrients and this helps in controlling plant disease.
3.Soil application:- Soil application enhances the nutrient uptake by the plants and thereby it acts as a natural fertilizer for the crop.
Advantages of Vermiwash:
1. Contains growth enzymes such as nitrogen, phosphorus, potash and Micro Nutrient.
2. Gets Protection from disease and insects due to good health of the plant.
3. A significant increase is observed in the production strength of the plant.
4. It is very beneficial for the overall development of each plant in each stage.
5. Vermiwash is cheaper than Chemical Fertilizer (N.P.K., DAP, Potash) and Micro Nutrients which are sold in the market.
6. Does not have side effects.
7. Spray and Drip, Can be given in Soil.
8. Can be used with every type of Organic Insecticide/ Fungicide.
9. Method of Usage – can be given in quantity of 5%, 10%.
10. Vermiwash is an Organic Liquid Fertilizer.
11. Can be used as foliar spray on plants parts like lea
Mr. Rohitashv Nagar, Assistant Professor, Department of Agronomy, School of Agricultural Sciences, Career Point University, Kota